»

Friday, October 30, 2009

Marielle's Bible

Here at family housing we have a little gem called the Swap Shop. It's an empty apartment you can drop off your discards and pick out what you like...for free. Think Thrift shop minus the cash register. Marielle and I love bringing home goodies so I try to restrain myself from going more than once a week. To illustrate, last week as we left home to go shopping for Marielle's tennis shoes, she was surprised as we veered toward the parking lot and asked, "aren't we going to the swap shop?" On one such visit to the swap shop Marielle found a jumbo sized coloring book. Some of the pages were colored, but many still blank so we grabbed it. She affectionately calls it "my bible" due to it's large size. The other night when we called her for family home evening she ran to the back and said "I need to get my bible!" She brought it out and after opening song and prayer very solemnly told us a scripture story about Elmo. It was cute, but long, and Dad eventually had to cut her off. I taught the lesson that night and recounted Joseph Smith's first vision. It was cool to see her start to understand. After I finished the story she even asked, "what church did he go to?" I love teaching the gospel in such simplicity. It really brings the spirit into our home. I don't have a picture of her bible, so a bible sized pumpkin will have to do.

1 comment:

TheSycamores said...

Mary Karlee, you really have a talent for writing to elicit beautiful emotion. I love the story of the Bible and the Bible pumpkin, not to mention how cute Marielle and Jenna are.